As pools and beaches across Ohio open this Memorial Day weekend, remember to protect yourself and your family from Recreational Water Illnesses (RWI).
RWIs are caused by germs you can get by swallowing, breathing in mist from, or having contact with these contaminated waters.
Follow these six steps for healthy swimming:
- Don’t swim when you have diarrhea.
- Don’t swallow pool water.
- Practice good hygiene. Shower with soap before swimming and wash your hands after using the toilet or changing diapers. Germs on your body end up in the water.
- Take your kids on bathroom breaks or check diapers often.
- Change diapers in a bathroom or a diaper-changing area and not at poolside.
- Wash your children thoroughly (especially the rear end) with soap and water before they go swimming.
Print this Poster Print this Poster
Ohio Department of Health Beach Monitoring Program
CDC: Healthy Swimming Web site
CDC: RWI Prevention