PCMH Education Pilot Project
Ohio House Bill 198
Primary care is a key component for controlling the costs of Medicaid while providing high-quality health care in the state of Ohio. In June 2010, the need for Patient-Centered Medical Homes and updated medical training was identified, and Ohio House Bill 198 was created.
The Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) Education Advisory Group (EAG) and the Patient-centered Medical Home Education Pilot Program were created by Ohio’s medical home statute (HB 198 of the 128th Ohio General Assembly). By statute, the EAG oversees implementation of the pilot program and seeks funding to support and sustain the initiative. The design of this pilot is unique because of its focus on education and advancing medical and nursing education in the PCMH model of care delivery.
Objectives of the pilot are:
- Facilitate more rapid adoption of the PCMH model by primary care providers (PCPs)
- Create practice sites where medical students, residents, and nurses can experience the PCMH model
- Revise medical student, resident, and nursing curricula to incorporate PCMH principles
- Attract and retain PCPs in Ohio by producing a more satisfying practice environment
- Enhance quality of care delivered to residents of Ohio
- Enhance patients' health care experience in the primary care office and community
- Bend the healthcare cost curve making care more affordable and accessible
- Create an organization to facilitate bringing available funding to Ohio for PCMH implementation
50 Ohio practice sites, each affiliated with one of four selected medical schools or one of five selected nursing schools, were chosen to participate in the pilot. The project granted $20,000 of funding to each site to support the implementation of PCMH practices. Furthermore, to support the advancement of curricular reform to incorporate the aims and ideas of the PCMH, a scholarship opportunity for medical school and advance practice nurse (APN) students who commit to practice primary care in Ohio was also created.
The PCMH Education Pilot Project is one of the most unique, visionary and concerted statewide efforts to commit to both improving how primary care is delivered and how providers are trained.
For more information about Choose Ohio First, Click Here