The School Nursing Program supports the provision of quality health services in schools to promote student health and success. In addition, the School Nursing Program assists schools with an all-hazards approach to emergency preparedness. School nurse consultants are available as resource experts to school nurses, school administrators, local health departments and other interested individuals, organizations and agencies. Services are provided by:
- Telephone and e-mail technical assistance and consultation
- Development and dissemination of resource documents
- Annual statewide training of new school nurses
- Annual topically focused regional conferences
- Recommendations on policies, procedures and standards of care for the provision of quality health
services in schools
- Electronic communication through the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) School Nurse Bulletin
- Collaboration with agencies and organizations to provide appropriate information, guidance and
training for those involved in the provision of health services in Ohio schools
- Facilitation of local and regional partnerships related to school emergency preparedness
The ODH electronic School Nurse Bulletin Board is now available. To subscribe to the bulletin board, click here for registration instructions.
National School Nurse Day
The Ohio Department of Health recognizes the work of school nurses on National School Nurse Day, May 7, 2014. Click here to see a letter sent by ODH Interim Director Lance D. Himes to superintendents, health departments and Head Start agencies.
Ohio Department of Health Issues Memorandum on Ohio Measles Outbreak
The Ohio Department of Health, local health departments and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are investigating an outbreak of measles occurring in several counties in Ohio. As measles has only rarely been seen in the past several decades, a memorandum has been issued to assist Ohio schools with understanding measles and what school nurses and school administrators can do to protect their students and staff members.
Please see the link on the left for important information about the SB 210 -- Healthy Choices for Healthy Children Act.
A Report on the Body Mass Index of Ohio's Third Graders, 2004-2011
This brief report provides state-level data on the prevalence of childhood obesity for Ohio's 3rd grade population.
A Report on the Body Mass Index of Ohio's Third Graders, 2004-2010
This report provides county-level estimates on the prevalence of childhood obesity for Ohio's 3rd grade population.
For more information, please contact us at:
Ohio Department of Health
School Nursing Program
246 North High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Telephone: (614) 466-1930
Fax (614) 644-9850
Last Updated: 5/7/14
ODH Programs / Links