Regional Community Health Needs Assessment Project
Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility (Flex) Program
The Ohio Department of Health Flex Program selected Ohio University’s Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs, along with their project partner, the University of Toledo Area Health Education Center (AHEC) program office, to conduct a regional community health needs assessment in four regions across Ohio between November 2011 and May 2012. These regions were organized based on the location of Ohio’s 34 Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs). Regions identified and prioritized regional health needs and developed a regional strategic plan to address some of the significant unmet needs. CAHs received county level and secondary data on identified health indicators, a summary of proud moments from CAHs across Ohio, as well as an individual hospital economic impact analysis and statewide CAH economic impact report.
The process included four meetings in each region:
- Meeting 1: Establish the steering committee; outline roles and expectations.
- Meeting 2: Discuss and prioritize regional needs, health indicators and gaps in services.
- Meeting 3: Develop strategies to address health issues and create a regional strategic plan.
- Meeting 4: Communicate the value of CAHs externally and review economic impact results.
In addition to conducting the regional community health needs assessments, the Flex Program hosted a follow up webinar on June 20, 2012, featuring Kami Norland from the Technical Assistance and Services Center (TASC). Kami Norland provided tools and direction for utilizing the data and strategic planning methodology provided in the regional process for completing individual IRS 990 requirements.
- Understanding the IRS requirements for a community health needs assessment
- Crosswalk between regional community health needs assessments process and IRS 990 Schedule H form
- Next steps
- Resources for IRS 990 requirements
CAH Regional Community Health Needs Assessment Project Outcomes
North Central Region
North West Region
For more information:
Ohio Department of Health
Primary Care and Rural Health
246 North High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Telephone: (614) 752-5133
Fax: (614) 564-2432
Last Reviewed: 9/12/14
Rural Hospital Flexibility Program Page / Critical Access Hospital FAQs
Primary Care and Rural Health Main Page