State Office of Rural Health (SORH)
The goal of the Ohio SORH is to help strengthen rural health care delivery systems by creating a focal point for coordinating rural health initiatives statewide. Since its inception in 1991, the Ohio SORH has worked to improve rural health care delivery systems through programs and activities related to its five essential functions.
The five essential functions of the SORH are to serve rural populations in Ohio by:
- Collecting and disseminating rural health information
Coordinating resources and activities statewide
Providing technical assistance to meet rural community health needs
Encouraging recruitment and retention of health professionals in rural areas
Strengthening state and federal partnerships
The SORH has leveraged several significant partnerships locally, statewide and nationally in its efforts to improve rural health care delivery systems. SORH staff plan and implement various workshops, conferences and meetings, and also work to provide resources and technical assistance to rural communities working to enhance existing systems of care. Speaker slides from various activities are included below as a resource. Please note that materials do not necessarily reflect the views of ODH.
Activities and Programs
Rural Health Conference – The 2016 Ohio Rural Health Conference and Flex Annual Meeting will be held on August 25- 26, 2016 at Quest Conference Center in Columbus Ohio. Go to conference website
RHC Quality Network Project – The SORH is sponsoring a project to develop a quality network for Ohio’s Rural Health Clinics (RHCs). This project is designed specifically for Ohio’s certified RHCs and clinics working toward RHC certification in Ohio. The project is being conducted by John Snow, Inc (JSI). Please see below for links to slides and more information.
- Defining and Reporting Clinical Quality Measures Webinar - This webinar held Nov. 6, 2014 covered information on the measures selected at the August meeting, a reporting tool developed by JSI, reporting timeframes, tips for successful reporting and the benefits of reporting. In addition to the slides linked above, a recording of the meeting is available.
- Quality Measures Meeting - This meeting held Aug. 28, 2014 focused on the next steps in selecting clinical quality indicators for the Ohio RHC Quality Network. Rural health issues, potential evidence-based interventions and quality measures were identified and prioritized through facilitated discussion. In addition to the slides linked above, the meeting notes are also available.
- Needs Assessment and Health Status Results Webinar - This webinar held June 13, 2014 described results from various Ohio statewide and regional needs assessments and the health status of counties with RHCs in Ohio, with an intent to help inform decision making around the selection of clinical quality measures for Ohio's RHC Quality Network. In addition to the slides linked above, a recording of the webinar is available.
- Process of Selecting Clinical Quality Indicators Webinar - This webinar held May 27, 2014 described the different types of quality metrics, considerations for choosing indicators and how health reform may influence indicator selection. In addition to the slides linked above, a recording of this webinar is also available.
- Ohio RHCs Quality Network Concept Webinar - This webinar held May 14, 2014 described the Ohio RHC Quality Network concept as it relates to the current Ohio RHC landscape and how quality improvement processes can be integrated into health care delivery. In addition to the slides linked above, a recording of the webinar is also available.
- RHC Practice Management Training Materials – The SORH sponsored a practice management training during March 2014 for certified RHCs and clinics working toward RHC certification. Materials from the training and the RHC Practice Management Training brochure are included below for reference. These materials are in PDF format.
Rural Health Listserv
- The SORH maintains a statewide rural health listserv to distribute a quarterly e-newsletter, described in more detail below, and other periodic e-mailed announcements regarding funding opportunities, upcoming events and other resources. To sign-up, please send a request stating that you would like to be added to the rural health listserv to HealthPolicy@odh.ohio.gov
- The quarterly newsletter is e-mailed to rural health stakeholders via the rural health listserv. This newsletter contains information on state and national news, upcoming events and other opportunities related to rural health.
Archived Educational Webinars - Slides from previous RHC webinars are linked below.
- Compliance with meaningful use webinar held June 17, 2014.
- ICD-10 session II for RHCs held May 13, 2014.
- ICD-10 session I for RHCs held April 8, 2014.
- RHC services and regulations held March 14, 2014.
- RHC annual program evaluation held Feb. 18, 2014.
- RHC cost reporting held June 11, 2013.
- RHC policies and procedures held May 28, 2013.
- RHC billing 101 held May 7, 2013.
- RHC regulations and compliance held April 16, 2013.
- Introduction to RHCs webinar held March 5, 2013. This webinar provided information on the benefits and process of becoming an RHC for clinics and organizations with an interest in possible development of either independent or provider-based RHCs.
Rural Health Day - National Rural Health Day is held each year on the third Thursday of November as a way to showcase rural America, increase awareness of rural health-related issues and highlight efforts to address the unique healthcare needs of rural communities. State Offices of Rural Health, the National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health and our partners celebrate National Rural Health Day each year.
Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) - The SORH coordinates various activities to assist both existing RHCs and clinics working toward RHC certification, including the annual Statewide Rural Health Conference, which featured a breakout track for RHCs in 2013, and educational webinars. These activities aim to support and enhance access to care in rural Ohio. Information is posted on this Web page and shared via the rural health listserv. Please also see the Governor's Certified Shortage Area for RHCs Web page for additional information regarding RHC development.
Ohio Department of Health
State Office of Rural Health
Office of Health Policy and Performance Improvement
246 N. High Street, 7th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Telephone: (614) 644-8508
Fax: (614) 564-2432
Last Updated: 4/21/2016
SORH Frequently Asked Questions / Primary Care and Rural Health Main Page