The Certificate of Need Program (CON) ensures the public access to quality, long-term care services by requiring review and approval of activities involving long-term care beds.
CON Program Update: Inter-county Relocation of Long Term Care Beds (2012)
State Wide County Long Term Care Bed Supply Table (2012)
Long Term Care Bed Need Tables (2012)
Map-Inter-County Relocation of Long Term Care Beds (2012)
The following activities require Certificate of Need review and approval:
- The development of a new long-term care facility.
- The replacement of an existing long-term care facility.
- The renovation of a long-term care facility that involves a capital expenditure of $2 million or more, not including expenditures for equipment.
- An increase in long-term care bed capacity.
- A relocation of long-term care beds from one site to another.
- Any failure to conduct a reviewable activity in substantial accordance with the approved application for which a Certificate of Need was granted, if the change is made within five years after implementation.
- The expenditure of more than 110 percent of the maximum expenditure specified in an approved Certificate of Need application.
A Certificate of Need application form may be filed with the Department of Health at any time. (If experiencing trouble opening this document, right click on the document link above titled "application", select "Save Target As", and save the document to your desktop. Then close Internet Explorer and open the document from your desktop using your Adobe Acrobat program.)
A decision on a Certificate of Need application is generally rendered within four to six months of receipt, provided no objections to the project are filed.
Section 3702.532, Ohio Revised Code, provides for the Director of Health to impose a civil money fine for carrying out a reviewable activity without receiving Certificate of Need approval and may refuse to accept for review any application for subsequent reviewable activities for one to three years. Section 3702.52(G), Ohio Revised Code, provides that the Director of Health may withdraw Ceritficates of Need. Section 3702.525, Ohio Revised Code, provides that the Certificate of Need expires if the project has not been timely obligated in accordance with that section.
CON application files may be reviewed only by scheduling an appointment with the CON program.
Ohio Department of Health
Division of Quality Assurance / Health Care Services Section
246 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: (614) 466-3325
Fax: (614) 564-2480
Last Updated: 3/1/12