The objective of the Ohio Department of Health’s certification in food protection rule, 3701-21-25 of the Administrative Code, is to educate and train food personnel on effective food safety practices for preventing foodborne illness. Ohio's Certification program consists of two levels of training.
Level One Training
Level One Certification in Food Protection, is a mandated training for the person in charge per shift of a risk level I, II, III, and IV food service operation or retail food establishment in the following instances:
- When a new food service operation or a new retail food establishment is licensed after March 1, 2010 unless the individual has successfully completed an equivalent or more comprehensive certification in food protection course (Level Two Certification).
- When a food service operation or retail food establishment has been implicated in a foodborne disease outbreak.
- When the licensor has documented a failure to maintain sanitary conditions as per section 3717.29 of the Revised Code for a retail food establishment or section 3717.49 of the Revised Code for a food service operation.
The following application must be submitted when requesting approval of materials for Level One Certification in Food Protection Training.
Application for Approval of a Level One Certification in Food Protection Course Materials
To request approval to offer the Level One Certification in Food Protection Training use the following application.
Application for Approval to be a Provider of a Level One Certification in Food Protection Course
Level Two Training
The Level Two certification in Food Protection, which has been the certification program since 1973, is a more extensive training for the food manager and meets the requirement for demonstration of knowledge in rule 3717-1-02.4 (B) of the Administrative Code.
As of March 1, 2017 each risk level III and risk level IV food service operation and retail food establishment will be required to have one employee, who has supervisory and management responsibility and the authority to direct and control food preparation and service, with the level two certificate.
A list of approved courses and examinations are listed in the Guidelines to the Ohio Department of Health's Level Two Certification in Food Protection. The guidelines were established to provide a foundation for the evaluation of test materials, instructors, uniform course content and reciprocity. Any one wishing to offer the Level Two Certification in Food Protection will need to complete the following application.
Application to Conduct a Level Two Certification in Food Protection Course
For a list of the approved providers for the Level One and Level Two Certification in Food Protection Trainings see link below:
Providers of the Level One and Level Two Certification in Food Protection training
***** Attention Service members, Veterans and their spouses: ****
The Ohio Department of Health Bureau of Environmental Health and Radiation Protection Food Safety Program is now offering expedited certification application processing for service members, veterans and their spouses. Applications must include proof of service member/veteran status. Documents considered acceptable proof for service members or veterans would include:
- Department of defense identification card (active, retired, temporary disability retirement list (TDRL));
- DD214 military discharge certificate indicating disposition of discharge;
- Report of separation from the national archives national personnel records center in St. Louis, Missouri; or
- Veterans’ identification card from the department of veterans’ affairs.
All acceptable proof documents, except veterans’ identification card, must show the veteran status as honorable, general, general under honorable conditions, or discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.
Questions regarding Ohio Certification should be directed to the food safety staff.
Ohio Department of Health
Bureau of Environmental Health and Radiation Protection
Food Safety Program
246 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Telephone: (614) 644-7416
Fax: (614) 466-4556
Last updated 9/2/2016