Mission -- To reduce TB to no more than one case for every million Ohioans. This will be accomplished by providing technical assistance to local TB units to ensure adequate surveillance, case prevention, disease containment, and program assessment and evaluation.
Prevention Priorities -- Prevention program priorities aimed at achieving the Ohio TB elimination plan goal are three-fold:
- Identify and treat persons who have active TB.
- Find and screen persons who have been in contact with TB patients to determine whether they have TB infection or disease and provide them with appropriate treatment.
- Screen high-risk populations to detect persons who are infected with TB and who could benefit from therapy to prevent the infection from progressing to TB disease.
Authorization -- This program is authorized to help eliminate TB as a public health problem under the Department of Health Administrative Code Chapters 3701.3.01 to 3701.3.31 and the Communicable Disease Rules. Categorical federal funds are authorized under Section 301 (a) 42U.S.C.241 (a) as amended and 317 (a) 42 U.S.G.247 (a).
- Provide assistance and consultation to local health departments and other allied agencies for implementation of effective TB prevention and control programs.
- Administer state grants to local agencies to provide expansion of local TB control activities to include TB patient outreach for the delivery of directly observed therapy and comprehensive TB case management.
- Provide ongoing public and professional TB education and information.
- Ensure local TB program quality by evaluating activities related to program objectives.
- Provide updated technical information to local TB agencies and other allied agencies.
Click the appropriate link below for additional information on tuberculosis:
Tuberculosis Information and Resources for the Public
Tuberculosis for Healthcare Providers
Ohio Laws and Rules Related to Tuberculosis
Ohio Department of Health
35 E. Chestnut St., 6th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Telephone: (614) 466-2381
Fax: (614) 387-2132
Last updated 9/30/2013