Visit Our Office
You can obtain the birth/death record from the city or county health department where the event occurred. Contacting these smaller health departments is often the fastest method. (Exception: sealed adoption records are only available from the Ohio Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics in Columbus) Local fees and operating hours vary. Click here to review our statewide directory.
Ohio Department of Health
Office of Vital Statistics
225 Neilston St.
Columbus, OH 43215
Same day service is available for birth certificates, death certificates and paternity affidavits in our downtown Columbus location to walk-in customers from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. The office is closed on state holidays. While our office strives to provide counter service within 20 minutes, we cannot guarantee same-day issuance for any orders placed after 4:30 p.m. You may request a later date to return for the copy, or it will be mailed and delivered to you in approximately one week. *Please note: a copy of an adoption file CANNOT be provided in our lobby on the same day. Customers may mail or submit the required documents with payment in our lobby; requests will be verified and researched, then copies will be mailed within one month.
- The required fee for each certified birth or death certificate is $21.50. Click here to type into and print our application form.
- We accept cash, check, or money orders (in U.S. funds);
- Credit cards accepted include American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa. No service fees will be added.
- Vital records issued from this office may be exchanged at this office, free of additional charges within one year of the issuance date.
- Refunds will be processed in the form of a check via postal mail, regardless of the initial payment type.
Click here to review adoption information.
Click here to review marriage/divorce information.
Click here to review frequently asked questions on vital records.
Free customer parking is available in the parking lot at the corner of Spring Street and Neilston Street. The spaces are marked with white signs for Vital Statistics customers. There is also free one-hour parking offered on Neilston Street and various coin meters throughout the area. Click here to review general directions to our office in downtown Columbus.
Para obtener instrucctiones en espanol, haga click aqui.
Notice: Please be advised that fees, available records, and information on this website is subject to change without notice.