Maternal and Child Health
The Maternal and Child Health Program is an organized community effort to eliminate health disparities, improve birth outcomes and improve the health status of women, infants and children in Ohio.
Maternal and Child Health Program Includes:
Grant dollars may be used to provide programs and services within the following seven priority(s):
- Behavioral Health
- Nutrition and Breastfeeding
- Safe Sleep
- Social Determinants of Health
- Ohio Institute for Equity in Birth Outcomes (OEI)
- Safety Net Services
Who Do We Serve?
We focus on low-income women and children in socio-economic, racial and ethnic groups that are disproportionately affected by poor health in geographic areas and populations of highest need. We currently fund 58 projects in 64 counties across Ohio.
- Ensuring socio-emotional health and addiction needs of women and children are met
- Decreasing smoking and second-hand smoke exposure
- Decreasing childhood obesity, reducing food insecurity and supporting breastfeeding
- Decreasing infant mortality by ensuring infants have a safe sleep environment
- Addressing social determinants of health
- Implementing the Ohio Institute for Equity in Birth Outcomes (OEI)
- Providing safety services
The goals of the Maternal and Child Health Program are accomplished by engaging in a focused, multidisciplinary, collaborative approach to health improvement. This is done in coordination with internal and external stakeholders that serve groups that are disproportionately affected by poor health outcomes. including, but not limited to:
A Collaborative Approach
- Local public health agencies
- Community health centers
- Community-based organizations
- Faith-based organizations
- Private-sector organizations
- Public health providers
- Culturally competent programs and services are provided to a diverse population in the service delivery area.
Maternal and Child Health funding sources include:
- Maternal and Child Health Block Grant (Title V)
- State General Revenue Funds
See Priority Areas and Strategies for the current Fiscal Year for more information on services provided by Maternal and Child Health Program.
Maternal and Child Health webinar/video recordings:
SFY 15 CFHS Competitive RFP Bidders’ Conference Information:
Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 Maternal and Child Health Program (MP) Request for Solicitation (RFS) Information:
Ohio Department of Health
246 N. High Street, 6th floor
Columbus, OH 43215
Tel: (614) 644-6560
Fax: (614) 564-2433
Last Updated: 2/7/2017