State Agencies | Online Services

Financial Resources

Community Development Block Grant Funds:

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds are not allocated specifically for private water system replacement, but have been utilized in some Ohio jurisdictions for the repair and replacement of home water systems. Funds are generally limited to repair or replacement of failing systems, but have also been used for system abandonment and access to public water. Eligible applicants usually must income qualify and be owner/occupants.

CDBG Contact: Your Local Board of County Commissioners

Community Housing Improvement Program:

Community Housing Improvement Program (CHIP) funds may be available in eligible jurisdictions. Applicants can apply for funds to address housing problems that will cover improvements to assure a safe and healthy environment, including the repair or replacement of a private water system for a home.

CHIP Contact: Your Local Board of County Commissioners

USDA - Rural Housing and Rural Utilities Programs:

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) funding is available to both property owners seeking grants or low interest loans for repair or replacement of private water systems through the Rural Housing Service program under 502 Direct Loans and 504 Repair Loans and Grants. Please contact either the state or district office below for more information.

The Rural Utilities Service also provides funds to eligible rural jurisdictions for public water projects to serve neighborhoods with a significant water supply needs (Water and Wastewater Disposal Loans and Grants).

USDA Rural Housing Service web page

Ohio Office Contacts: 

State Office: (614) 255-2400

Findlay Area Office (419) 581-4498

Hillsboro Area Office (937) 393-1921

Marietta Area Office (740) 373-7113

Massillon Area Office (330) 830-7700

Housing and Urban Development:

The federal Housing and Urban Development (HUD) program may also be used to provide low interest loans to homeowners for the repair and rehabilitation of homes, and these costs may also be included as part of the home purchase depending on the final appraised value. Please contact the HUD office below for more information.

          HUD website

Cleveland: (216) 357-7900

Columbus: (614) 469-5737


Page reviewed: 05/22/2018